What is climate change?
Our climate has been changing since the beginning of our planet. Most of the fluctuations have been because of naturally occurring events like volcanic eruptions and variations in the suns output. Why is everybody up tizzy about climate change? All the scientists have been studying this since 1896 and we thought that the climate change would be good thing for people but now climate change has been happening really fast, changing faster than it has been in the last 1300 years and it’s because of people on this planet. Ever since the industrial revolution, people have pumped a lot of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Carbon-di-oxide, methane nitrous oxide and even water vapours are factors contributing for the rise in temperature.
What happens when climate change occurs
One of the 16 hottest years on record have occurred around 2000 and while a warmer winter may sounds great but there are a lot more negative consequences. Things like really hot oppressive summer’s, big changes in precipitations patterns meaning more flooding, longer droughts and stronger thunderstorms, hurricanes are the results and these are going to get a lot bigger and stronger as the oceans warm up. Studies say that the sea level could rise between one to four feet by the end of the century which would displace a lot of people who live on islands and near the coast. Also without those cold winters to thin out the bug population there are going to be a lot more bugs flying around including mosquitoes which spread deadly diseases. This would lead to rise in the mass extinctions. Big change in our climate could happen because of we humans, if we don’t change our ways.
The reasons of climate change
Climate change also known as global warming is a problematic issue and this problem is growing. To make matters worse, this problem is a manifestation of human activities. People’s actions are resulting in devastating impacts to the environment. Unfortunately, not everyone concurs to this reasoning. Even with empirical data presented, there are skeptics who attribute climate change to natural causes rather than man-made causes. Climate change caused by people is known as anthropogenic (human-caused) climate change . Due to increased human activity, carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas which traps heat in the Earth’s atmosphere, concentrations in the atmosphere have reached to its highest in three million years.
Life on earth depends on climate, and changes in it directly affect the health and well-being of the population and biodiversity. As long as mankind produces greenhouse gases, global warming will continue to accelerate. The consequences are felt at a much smaller scale which will increase to become drastic in the near future. The power to save the day lies in the hands of humans.
Here is something which we can do to contribute in positive reduction of this change:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. For eg. We can avoid packages which come with extra packaging and use of plastics.
- Energy consumption should be reduced on an individual basis. For eg. Adding insulation to the walls can reduce the use of air conditioners
- Replace existing fossil fuel based energy eg. Drive less and drive smart. Opt for car pooling, walking and Biking are good exercises.
- Use Less hot water at home.
- Turn off lights when not required. Turn off all the electrical appliance when not in use. Gadgets such as Television, computers, mobiles should be switched to less or no energy usage mode.
- Turn off the water when not in use like brushing your teeth, Shampooing the dog or washing your vehicle use minimum water.
- Plant a tree. Find out barren area in your surroundings and plant trees. These simple actions can play a vital role to reduce climate change.
Transformation in life styles of individuals for those who can financially and economically is very essential.
Climate change is a worldwide issue and leads to global warming that needs to be controlled to save the earth from imminent danger. The existence of human civilization on this earth depends on the health of this earth. The health of this earth is deteriorating due to global warming. Thus it must be controlled by us to save us and the earth as well. ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO BEGIN.